Monday, May 16, 2011

It's the final countdown!

I turned in my two-week notice at work.  I'm in my last couple of weeks at school.  80% of my belongings are boxed up, labeled and stacked neatly together in the living room.  The dead weight has been lifted off of my shoulders, there's a brilliant light at the end of the tunnel, and I am almost ready to move!! 

San Luis Obispo (while still my first choice) is going to have to wait.  Things just came at me way too fast to make a move there work in time, so plans have been adjusted.  Pat and I already have a townhouse in San Marcos, and we'll be living with Holly and Kyle.  I never even thought of moving to San Diego County but...why not?  The weather is near perfect, there are plenty of universities, it's not far from my family (namely Grandpa and Alayna), and best of all, IT'S NOT THE SAN FERNANDO VALLEY! Wahooo!!!

I'm so excited.  I've been going through a bit of a quarter-life crises for the past year and I've definitely been feeling trapped by the decisions and paths I've chosen to take in my life.  But now, this move is allowing me the freedom and the opportunity to do exactly what I've been wishing for: quit my job, go back to school, focus on myself, explore a new city, meet new friends, start over, revamp my life.  I know I just did this two and a half years ago, but that's a long time and I am a far cry from the 21 year old that moved to Northridge with Liz.  

Moving to a new city is a beautiful opportunity to reinvent yourself.  Not change who you are or fake being someone else, but to re-imagine yourself.  These new people know nothing of your past.  They don't know your family or your ex-boyfriends or your enemies.  They've never heard those rumors everyone else knows about.  That new job, the new campus, the new circle of friends and acquaintances,  they only know what you show them.  You get a completely bare canvas and you can paint it as drastically as your heart desires.  I'm so ready for this next chapter in my life.  I'm so ready to leave Northridge and my life here behind me.  Not to forget, never to forget.  The past two years I've spent here will always be with me, but they are over and I've done all of the growing I can here.  I can't wait to see what San Marcos and this next chapter of my life, my career, my education, my relationship with Pat and my friendships with Holly and Kyle hold.  

"Happiness is not something you postpone for the future; it is something you design for the present."-JR

No comments:

Post a Comment